Thursday, November 3, 2011

Many Thanks

First thank you all for the great ideas that came in regarding helping with the literacy project.  The High Scope recommendation (thank you Erin) now has me in contact with those folks. And Nicole, loved your ideas about faces.  So things are cookin' on that front.

Have had a few experiences that are making me feel that I'm becoming part of the community here.  Every morning I pass a long line of Boda drivers hoping to pick up a fare.  Most Mzungu's ride them - but so far I've avoided since I really do like the walking and also - PC has been very clear about them being off limits to PCVs.  Still - one called out: "I coo nining? (How did you spend the night?) So I answered: "A coo maber, in kono?"  ("The night was good, and you? ") Well, he wasn't expecting that - and was just so excited this Mzungu knew some Acholi! So then the conversation began in earnest - well as far as my still limited Acholi can take me.  But we exchanged names and greeting for how to spend the rest of the day.   I am beginning to feel part of the place - bit by bit.  Later I saw a woman I'd done some business with a few days ago and  she called be by name and I actually was able to remember her name and place her.  We had a good conversation and today I went back to her shop.  She didn't have what I needed so, said "Let's go, I'll show you where you can get what you want."  I followed her to her wholesaler and he passed on his wholesale price to me.

This is how is happens.  One day you don't feel so obvious, so much like an outsider. People begin joking with you, helping you with the language and anything else that comes up.    Even the attempt to speak the language (although nearly everyone here speaks English) distinguishes you from the other Mzungus that make no effort.  It is remembered and a speaks volumes to them about your interest in being part of things.   So to continue this, my soon to be housemate, Jaron, and I decided we'd eat at a local-food eatery.  Beans and rice were "finished" at the first place, so we went for fish and millet bread (an acquired taste I think - which I have not acquired, but it's really good for you) around the corner. There we were told the "the food is finished."  So we ended up at a tiny little hole-in-the-wall cafe with a dog sleeping under the front table and had a really good meal of Indian Food.  Sometimes it's good to be in Gulu...

So, I packed up my apartment today, in preparation for hopefully moving on Saturday. Tomorrow we've been invited to Open Day at a vocational school just outside of town.  Should be interesting.  One of the PCV's is trying to get things organized out there and it will be a challenge.  The students built her bathing room, the door of which fell in on her on the first use.  When she grabbed it, the wall around the frame fell in.  Everywhere there is need.    Today, I met a man who is the Ugandan face of an NGO based in California.  There mission is to get schools started in cultivating the land around the school to grow food to feed the students a lunch meal.  Extra food will go to families.  They are growing beans, cassava and maize.  Just a couple of schools so far, but it is to not only feed the students a decent meal, but provide incentive for families to send their children to school (because at least there they will get one good meal.)

And so it goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment