Tuesday, October 2, 2012

No News is Good News?

This comes to you from the exciting cement confines of a windowless-single-with-a-fan room at the Annex, my home away from home when in Kampala.  I'm here for my second crown (no not the one that comes with jewels) courtesy of Uganda and Peace Corps.  At least this time I was able to get in to the dentist who has the crown machine in his office.  He told me to day that the cost of the machine is more that the total of all of his other office equipment combined.  It's not quite right (the crown) but I'll go back tomorrow. At least this one doesn't come via the "slow boat from China" as did the last one.  

I managed to make it through last weekend without accidentally going into work on Saturday.  So my dignity has been partially restored.  I am free of termites for the time being and Yin, the pitiful white female cat, has redeemed herself by catching a mighty fine rat.    Now days she is trailed by the only one of her remaining kittens, a little calico, and she is again "with kittens."  I fed her some left-over and getting-old (refrigeration off for a few days) tuna and she now deigns to "speak" to me.  In fact she's quite the meow-er and has started rubbing up against my leg.  She no longer runs from me and has - in fact - become quite pushy.  MK - you have competition.  So I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing.  Tho the last time I fed her she wanted more, which I wouldn't give.  Within a few minutes I saw her out front with a big  squirming rat hanging from her mouth.  Good kitty...

A Ugandan Blessing:  "May your ride on the bus be boring and uneventful."    On Monday I was granted such a blessing.  As is my habit (unwillingly) the night before I have to get up early to catch the bus, I awoke every hour on the hour until 5AM when I finally gave up and got up.  Mercifully the night's rain  had quit and I walked the mile in the dark dodging puddles and mud, but without rain.  Got a decent seat and a decent seat mate.  So all-in-all a good ride if you don't count the ensuing exhaustion.

Absolutely nothing of interest is happening, but considering the things that COULD be interesting, I suppose this is a good thing.   Those of us in the north were visited by our program officer and one of the nurses last week - along with the security officer.  As Fred sat taking notes and the incidents of "the foot, the fire and the burglary" came up he said "And this was all in the last year?"  Yes, Fred. And this is why a boring week can count as a good week.

Our planned trip to Ethiopia has met with some resistance. It turns out that when we submit our travel requests, they are sent through the safety and security officer for that country.  Seems that the areas we want to visit in the south - the tribes that  still do body painting and wear a clay plate in the lower lip (!) are considered "out of bounds."  Well damn!   Still going, but having to regroup yet again.  74 days and counting to departure!!

All manner of turmoil at out office in Gulu:  personnel shuffling, office demolition, relocating. Hard to get things done in such an environment.  Still - things move forward.  Got a nice article published in the Human Rights Focus Quarterly publication and it appears I will be writing more for them.  Kind of a nice surprise I had not anticipated.     In fact, none of this is what I had vaguely anticipated, but then I suppose that's part of the adventure.    Housemate is still in the States.

Once again, my deepest thanks to all of you who have supported me - mind, body and spirit - with comments,  e-mails, calls, goody boxes, help with things at home.     Really, I could not be doing this without your love and support.   One of the sweetest discoveries here has been your presence and generosity of spirit, time and effort.   I am truly overwhelmed.  Knowing you are there is indeed the "wind beneath my wings." 

No comments:

Post a Comment