Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The Cosmic 2x4 and Options

Haven't had a day like this in a long time,  which is a good thing.  I was feeling the complacency of things having normalized - which they have.  The problem is that THIS is normal, I'd just not been to a meeting in a long time. December 5th in International Volunteer Day or some such and Peace Corps has decided we need to do something to show our presence.  Basically, I feel like we do that everyday...     evidently there is power in numbers, so I guess the idea is that all of the volunteer organization somehow come together and make a splash.

Since no one in Peace Corps Gulu has picked up the baton on this, I was asked to attend a committee meeting to see how Peace Corps can participate and so I did.  Those of you who know me, know that I HATE committees.  There's a reason I've been self-employed most of my adult life -  decision by committee has never been my choice of a good time  (The phrase, "doesn't play well with others" comes to mind) or a good way to work, so I have artfully avoided this.  Yet here I am doing it in Uganda - the poster child for decision by consensus.

OK, OK - really I did go with an open mind - but I anticipated waiting - even brought my Kindle to read - so there was waiting.....      After a few prompt Ugandans came in - we hurried up and waited for almost an hour when the chairperson deigned to come and started what dragged into a 3 hour meeting with 17 people needing to weigh in on every topic and decision.  They spent a full 45 minutes  discussing the difference between a Moderator for the session and the Speaker.  I left "early" meaning I did the unforgivable and didn't take tea.

Instead, I hoofed it down the mile-plus stretch of Kitgum Road, one of the dustiest, most rutted roads in Gulu and arrived back at LABE covered in dust, pissed, hungry and needing to take three boxes to the Post Office to be sent to Kampala  so Florence, who hosted me in Wakiso during training can start a community library in her garage.  I've been TOLD to show up at 2:00 to pay the conductor to get the boxes on the bus for going to Kampala the next morning at 7:00.  Again - waiting - this time an hour and a half, but as rivulets of sweat ran down my body mixing with the dusting of red dirt I'd just picked up, I was entertained by darling little boy who, fascinated by my Kindle and my white skin , kept me company.  When  the already late bus finally unloaded I was told take my boxes home and return at 6AM the next morning as they don't trust the security on the bus.  I pulled the "Muzungu card" and  begged fatigue, walking a mile with 40 pounds of books and frustration.  Basically I refused to leave and they said they would take the boxes as a "favor."

Ah yes - in short - this was just a normal experience.  as I said, things had just gotten into rather a routine and I'd been feeling pretty adaptive.  Well - the universe always has a 2X4 waiting to get your attention. So it was especially wonderful when a few days later friends arrived and we were treated to the sight of an o-l-d woman twirling her broom handle like a baton and marching outside the gate where the marching band was practicing. She was so proud and not the least self-conscious, probably having learned the skill with a similar band in her youth. Can you see that happening in the States?   The next day we watched a marathon of The Game of Thrones on their computer and were treated to a fabulous Thanksgiving dinner at the home of friends who work for USAID.
The universe of feelings here continues to flip with breakneck speed and while it's not as often, I still find myself switching from exhaustion and frustration to moments of pure joy and surprise running the full range of emotions in less than a minute.

Days like the one at the meeting and the Post Bus always serve as contrast. They remind me of what I have - and at the core of that is options - the very presence of which translates as opportunity - a hard to find commodity here for most Ugandans.   Last Thanksgiving we were just settling in at site and still in overwhelm at the enormity of what lay ahead.  We're at the tipping point now - past the halfway mark and most of us are already taking stock of what our time here has meant.  Believe it or not, we are now thinking "Oh my god, I've got less than a year left - how will I get everything done?"
Once again - it's a mixed bag of emotions.  May you all FEEL blessed and BE blessed in the season ahead.




No comments:

Post a Comment