Friday, October 25, 2013

Fixin' to Get Ready -


As I began writing this, the power was off and I sat in an almost empty house in the soft glow of candlelight. It’s a memory I’ll have forever.  To keep it from getting spooky, I spaced tea-candles in the hall offering little puddles of light from living room to bedroom.  I loved it! And then the scene repeated itself so often over the week that I ran out of tapers, then tea lights, then batteries...  Finally, as my neighbor seemed to have power, I checked with the landlord and we once again jiggled the wire the power department saw fit to install after they removed a fuse.  You just have to be willing to take the risk of electrocution to get the lights to come back on.    I now revel in having power and have everything I own plugged in. 

As time  comes to a close here n Gulu it’s a bit surreal.  The house feels like a shell and is essentially empty except for the basic pieces of furniture.  All the artwork is down, crafts packed.  Knowing me as many of you do, I packed the arts crafts and mementos first and those things the kids gave me to make life comfy here: battery chargers, Life Save Water Bottle, Steri-pen, solar charger.. I continued to be one of the best prepared PCV’s in country – thanks again to the forward thinking of my kids. 

Naively I thought I had only one suitcase of treasures.  Well – the joke was/is on me.  Two 40lb bags later, I realized that packing to leave is actually more complicated than packing to get here and for one simple reason:  things I forgot from home could be (and were) mailed to me and – I knew I would return to the States and the family and friends.

Leaving here, I realize it’s entirely possible I won’t return – or at least not for years.  And – as is my nature – I want to take every morsel of memory back with me.  And it appears I’m doing just that.  So – pack-unpack-repack repeat.

Mentally, I'm somewhere else.  Physically, I’m here doing what I need to do to leave.  Part of that equation is Peter and setting up a really functional and caring support network for him when I’m gone and one that can manage his continuation in school assuming his grades on his Primary Leaving Exams allow that.  Since we won’t really know that until January, things will have to move fast because school starts again on February and the group will have to find him a school and one I can fund.  Peter certainly had good people in his life before I arrived on the scene and they will be the constants in his life when I leave.  The challenge has been convincing Peter of that life will move forward, but slowly-by-slowly as the expression goes that is happening.  We gathered in the office of the DRDC (Deputy Residential Regional Commissioner) who has been so instrumental in helping Peter when problems have come up.  It’s amazing the people Peter has gathered around him – how a street kid can become friends with and befriended by high district officials, the police, pastors and others.  But it was through Peter that I began to know most of Gulu!  Anyway – that network is in place and that feels good for all of us.

I met a young woman who is here working with Educate for Change and she's taking over the house making the task of finding places for all the furniture a lot easier.  She’s also helping with Peter.  So things are falling into place. The universe works in amazing ways.

My LABE friends here are wonderful and they have just this week moved into the larger offices promised a year ago, but still have no power or water.  This is an office we're talking about - no copier, internet, lights, etc.   The library project however, seems to be in hands that will work to continue its growth and that’s satisfying.

I spent the weekend saying goodbye to friends I’ve served with and a curious thing in happening.  One volunteer I really like met Travis and Brett and will probably connect with Travis in Florida to go cave diving.  A Ugandan friend who left while I was traveling, turns out to be in Dallas now working as a CPA.  We’ll get to visit when he comes to see friends who have a house in the Austin hill country!    Another RPCV who is working here with a social-enterprise group also left while I was traveling, but is going to be in Austin the day after I arrive! So we’ll also see each other.  The world keeps getting smaller and I like it.

Today was spent delivering gifts to people who have made such an impact on my life here and I am so touched by their responses to my leaving.     It's a bag full of mixed emotions  and as time draws near - 12 days left in Gulu - my emotions careen from heavyhearted to downright giddy and everything in between. I'm teary one moment excited and visualizing myself stepping off that plane in Austin the next.  I've been warned that this roller-coaster will continue and get even worse when I'm actually back in the States.   You are forwarned! 

By the way – arriving home on Nov. 10 via United Airlines at 6:18!!!!!   I'm not sure if I'll kiss the ground first or eat at Chuys!

No comments:

Post a Comment