Sunday, February 5, 2012

Some pictures

Hey folks,

At long last, I am sitting in Sankofa posting pictures so I don't eat up all of my modem space.  This spot is a godsend:  we can get pizza that's almost American, good coffee, a place to sit all day if we want and they now have a new volunteer who is helping them offer new dishes, coffees, etc.  And we can see the changes!  Best - almost - is the fact that they have wireless that most of the time works. Today is one of those times.

So more pictures will come, but now if you click on the link you have the option to go to albums. The latest ones were taken last year and give a good glimpse of what life looks like in the bush, the small villages where LABE does its work, Gulu town and at least one of what I see everyday as I walk up my alley to work.  OK - not every day do I face a herd of Ancoli cattle, but frequently enough to be interesting.  Even the locals are afraid of these cows.  You can see from the length and position of their horns that they can (and have) easily scooped up a volunteer in preparation for tossing.

Today is Sunday.  There is no water - unless hauled, so that is my next task.  I used up everything in trying to soak the bottom sheet of a set.  There is simply no way to get into bed without transferring the dust from floor to bed - unless you keep a basin of water and a towel there.  No - not even in wearing slipper, socks, etc.  Dust permeates everything- as I have said.  I am CLEAN when I climb into bed.  I have bathed, put on socks, taken them off to go to bed, wiped my feet on a rug next to the bed - and still, after a week these sheets LOOK like they would in the states if used for a full year by someone who never bathed.   It's disgusting, but  one adapts...   Dust blows in from everywhere, with ash and whatever else is in the air.  Headaches have begun.  Now I know why there are so many headache/pain remedies in the medical kits PC hands out - and decongestants and anti-histimines and ant-acids.....    I've started closing the windows when I leave, but the dust is not the only reason.  A fews days ago I saw muddy kitty foot prints just under the dining room window: incoming and out-going.  I think we got away without a spraying, but now I'm cautious.  Seems the pitiful white kitty that has come to the front door and not been granted admittance has taken matters into his/her own paws and found another way in.  It may be the same creature that is eating what was to be a compost pile, which disappears regularly before the next dumping.

Spent the day yesterday at my NGO with two of the staff doing a huge reorganization project.  I have to say it was pretty frustrating given the difference in our languages, approaches, experience and proclivities toward keeping or throwing things, not to mention the general lack of proper equipment and resources.  Often, we had to agree to disagree.  But there were moments when we celebrated our agreement to agree!  Ultimately, a huge amount of work was accomplished and  it was a monumental start to setting in motion practices that should ultimately make a difference.  I am gratified - if not still exhausted.  Never thought I'd be so literally practicing my former work skills here.

Oh my god!  A truck just barreled past and for a moment it got very quiet because we ALL thought it was thunder!  It was cloudy yesterday and teasing us with the possibility of rain, but we'll probably have to wait until March, at which time we will be dancing in the streets one moment and cursing the mud the next.   Balance - that's what we need here - is a little bit of balance on so many fronts.

OK - I am just rambling.  I'll go load some more pictures.  Tell me what you think when you see them ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment