Monday, February 20, 2012

Trickles

And today - what will it bring?   There was a good omen this morning...  At about 3:30 AM I awoke sweating and heard an unusual sound - i.e. not the Call to Prayer, not a rooster (that's at 4:30AM), not booming base, a mouse or mosquito.  Water?  A leak? Naaaah - nothin' in the pipes.   Wait! I recognize that sound from long ago...  It IS water!  Up to find the source - a little trickle coming into the toilet tank.  I turn on the tap - no - not enough pressure built of for that apparently.  But I am hopeful and go back to bed.  My jury-rigged fix to the inlet valve that pops off when the water comes back has held.  God bless dental floss for all it's various uses.

Around 6:15 I awake for good to the staccato sounds of "who-who-who-who"  sounding for all the world like monkeys, but there are no monkeys here.  It would make life interesting, but I think it's just the doves.  It was remarkably quiet last night - one of the blessings to no power, but on the weekends the clubs just ratchet up their generators.  No so last night.  Almost creepy in fact - especially since I was finishing a mystery where a woman is buried alive...  so then I HAD to finish to see her rescued.  Mary Higgins Clark always rescues the good guy at the end.   Why do I read such things?  Because it's better than the constant barrage of books about the 20 years of war atrocities in Northern Uganda that seem to proliferate around here.    This a least is fiction.

Ah! And there IS water for real - in the pipes!  Issuing forth in a beautiful clear stream from the faucet no less!   Quick!  Fill the jerricans!  No make coffee first - then jerricans!  Coffee - jerricans - coffee  jerricans.  Both are critical.  Coffee wins.    Wash something - clothes - yes - one never knows how long the water will last.    My nightgown, which was clean a few days ago looks like I wrestled with a pig.
Well - not quite, but certainly looks like I slept in the back of a truck - this due just to the ambient dust cloud that floats around like fog, gradually permeating and settling into everything:  sheets, mosquito nets, clothing, hair, computers.   And that's why we like rainy season.  At least we are not walking through a red cloud of dust.  Onward...

Today - planning for the pilgrimage to Kampala for the tooth.    I so wish there were alternatives.  But next week is a weeklong budget meeting for my organization and we (Betty - the other PCV with LABE in Arua) are supposed to be there...  I've been wanting to go to Arua (aka West Nile Region).  I hear there are wonderful Congolese fabrics there in the market and there we will travel as a group thank goodness.  So I suppose there is always a price to pay somewhere - this one may be a trip to Kampala alone.  It's my trial by fire - solo travel on the Kampala bus.  If I can manage a storm at sea, certainly I can manage a bus ride?

More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment