Monday, October 17, 2011

Arrival: the Land of Red Dust

Red dust is the prevailing characteristic of this place.  I'm sorry, but it's the most ubiquitous of characteristics.  Some places in Africa have Baboons (we passed some stealing fruit from a fruit stand  after crossing the Nile), some have tea plantations (west near the Rwenzori mountains), some have exotic animals.  We have dust and this is the Rainy Season, so dust is tempered by mud on some days by really gully-washer rains. The rain also quietens life a bit - thank god.  The noise is deafening here - and it's mostly electronic, although a lot also comes from busses, boda-bodas (those wicked motor-cycle taxis we are not allowed to ride for good reason in most places), the thwacking away at wood shops or metal shops....  You name it - it makes noise.  The sounds of kids and goats and cows would be fine - that's what I had in Wakiso where I lived with my home-stay family.  Here the night-club music blasts until 4:00 am on Saturday and was only interrupted list night by the blessed rain!

So - I've been asked to describe living quarters.  You'll be disappointed as I know some of you are picturing me in a thatched roof mud hut somewhere, stepping out of my door to see Giraffe, Elephants and the occasional Lion.  No - I am in the industrial heart of Gulu town, the third largest "city" in Africa.  I'm here because of the wars that raged fors decade and left thousands homeless, living in squalid IDP (Internally Displaced People) camps where starvation, rape and Aids raged.  The peace treaty was signed in about 2008 and people  have somewhat returned to their homes.  I say somewhat, because most of these people lost their ancestors while in the camps and many of the children now inhabiting northern Uganda were born there.  So they have no reference to tell them where their family land is. In those conditions, people do not learn to live in society, how to mother, trust or learn.  Peace Corps and many other NGOs are here to attempt to heal some of that and help create relationships and skills that in theory will help them move forward.

So back to living conditions, but that describes the social environment...  The apartment!  Yes - I'm in an apartment in what feels like the projects, BUT it has luxuries like electricity (sometime), water (sometime) and a flush toilet.  So that makes me lucky.  When I arrived, it was dark and raining and the electricity had gone off.  Every centimeter of surface was covered with a thick layer of - you guessed it -red dust and cobwebs and there was no furniture.  As was explained by my supervisor, almost as dismayed as I was,  explained  "Ugandans don't believe you will arrive until they see you." There is a lot of cultural underpinning to support that belief.  So we set about to get the bed, desk, chair and book case that our host organizations are required to furnish along with housing.

It arrived and we assembled, then went out in search of supplies with which to chase the dust away so I would at least be able to sleep here.   Oh yes - and we had to find the mattress as well.  Nothing is easy here.  Now totally dark and still raining, the market had closed as well as most of the stores (remember, no electricity) and the streets are packed with people running our to get gas for their lanterns, etc.    We found enough to get us by, and my Ugandan male supervisor took the mop and cleared enough dust and cobwebs out of my bedroom for me to sleep.  You have no idea how rare that is - for a male here to do cleaning and much less for a woman.  He's obviously educated and evolved and really does want his newly minted volunteer to stay.

The place is on the second floor (really the third, but they call it the second floor) and is maybe 50 feet off the busiest and noisiest highway in Gulu.  Within an eighth of a mile there are: s the furniture mfg. district, two bus terminals, 4 gas stations, several boda-boda stages (where all the bodas hang out and wait for business while listening to their boom-boxes), an old market now inhabited, and untold numbers of clubs judging from the noise at night.  Starting about mid-afternoon, rubbish is burned somewhere in back of me -emitting a toxic cloud of burning plastic vapors.  Paradise.  But, I remind myself that I have running water, electricity......

The place is tiled, has two bedrooms, a living area, a bathing area and a room called a kitchen, but there is not stove or any cooking device.  I've bought a 2-burner gas job, but there is no propane in the city an the moment.  So I am living off PBJ sandwiches and whatever packaged soups I can make with boiling water.  I have an electric kettle, because boiling water is required if one doesn't want a whole smorgasbord of horrible diseases spread by un-sanatized water.  Oh - it has a "balcony" overlooking the squalid market behind me.  But that's good because I can hang out my laundry - always done by hand.

And there you have it...  This morning is good because I have my good RutaMaya  organic coffee brought from Austin, brewed using my electric kettle and a plastic French press.  No creme (no refrigeration), but sugar.  So I am at least functional and glad I thought ahead.  In fact, thanks to Travis and Brett - who studied catalogs and have survival training - outfitted me with the most amazing selection of gadgets (and ALL of which I have either used or loaned out)  I am probably the best equipped PCV in this group.  Thanks guys - I love you.

Work is beginning slowly and big wigs from Comic Relief are getting a dog-and-pony show today, so I'll meet them.  Getting a PCV here is a huge deal as we have to be requested and a lot of vetting (theoretically) goes on before we are assigned.    That's it.  Off to cut my hair and get presentable.

Thanks again to all of you who provided entertainment and goodies.  Now that I am somewhat settled and have the occasional jolt of electricity I plan to avail myself of a little escapist activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment