Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween

How appropriate somehow that today this witchy-woman will get on her broom and fly to a motel to spend the remainder of time until my "new" house is ready to occupy.  Since I've been feeling sick and essentially living off meds since I came to Gulu, the Medical Arm of Peace Corps has agreed that it as a health issue and PC is helping with the expense of staying elsewhere for the next few days.    Relief!   Thank you Medical and all involved.  As I said before, who'd a thunk air-quality would be an issue?

It's a reminder that one has to be one's own advocate and ask for help when needed - like getting a hand to get down that mountain. (Well alright - hill!  Oh that one was blow to the ego...  ) Tough for this ole' broad, but that may be one of the lessons here - to accept help, stop being so damned self-reliant and independent.  I've had so many discussions with single friends who are so accustomed to "doing it all" because we've had to and become used to it.  Just because we "can" doesn't mean we like it.  We melt when people offer help (tho' we are loathe to ask) and it really is a community here where people look out for each other.  But learning to let some vulnerability show without feeling exposed and without being a "whiner" does not come naturally.  Steel Magnolia's really pegged Southern Women.

Reminds me again to say "thank you" to all of you back home who so graciously and selflessly are doing things to keep my Austin life afloat and sending care packages, writing e-mails and comments and and taking care of critters and accounts and on - and on.  You are all helping make Peace Corps possible for me and I get the feeling from other older volunteers, that that scene is being lived out in many other locals. You are so appreciated!!  I will try to "do you proud."

Oops - they're burning plastic again - gotta run pack a bag and get outta here.

N





Spend the day well!
N

No comments:

Post a Comment