Tuesday, October 18, 2011

National Hand-washing Day?

Today was an interesting day - I went in a bit late because I was told everyone would be busy readying for a meeting with the funders and I would meet-and-greet. So I dressed accordingly, though by the time I tried to iron my clothes the electricity was off again, prompting me to put on the least wrinkled of my meager selection and set off.

Upon arrival, I was told that I would not be meeting the big-wigs, but would be spending the day in the field instead.  So much for dressing appropriately, although we've been told always to wear long skirts, so that at least works.  Here in Gulu there is a little more latitude because it's NGO central and PC volunteers are ALWAYS the most appropriately dressed for the culture.  That says something I guess.  And - on an unrelated note, I saw my first female piki-piki (motor-cycle) driver.  Gulu town is known for its uppity (translate forward thinking) Ugandan women. Guess they must have matched me with "uppity."

So we drove around to schools to monitor the program and see how things are progressing and what the challenges are.  It was telling:  11 sub-standard latrines for 1116 students, no text books, teachers have not been paid for last month, under-motivated students, poor discipline - but they are trying and slogging through the swamp of despair in the process.  The government has passed legislation that has removed caning from the schools and that's the good news.  The other side of that coin is that they know of no other ways to discipline.  Hoping to offer ideas on behavior modification... with positive feedback and when I very tentatively brought it up, it was met with "hmmmm - like a reward system?"  So there is some hope.  Also, this is not a reading culture and when students DO want to borrow books they are often not allowed because there is no education on how to treat a book (yet another opportunity).

So there is no lack of possibilities for help here, but I am reminded daily of how fundamental the tools must be.  We met a parade on the way to one of the schools - with band playing, hundreds of children marching behind.  I finally found out that that particular school had won a celebration because their school had been the cleanest in their practice of washing hands before eating and after bathroom.  Today  as it turns out, was National Hand Washing Day....BECAUSE lack of hand-washing in a coun of pit latrines, eating with the hands and no running water - well you get the picture of how it relates in a serious way to disease control.  So yes - we're starting with skills that in the western world are common knowledge and we've forgotten that cleanliness is a cultural and economic perc.  In PC training we were taught how to build a tippy-tap, a home-made hand-washing station made with sticks, string and a jerry can.    So - training meets practical world.

And that's it for tonight.  The boom-boxes have not started yet (rained earlier - everyone is searching for lantern gas) and I plan to take advantage of the calm.  Also, the rubbish pile is wet, s no toxic funes tonight!  Yes indeed, it is a night to celebrate.
N

No comments:

Post a Comment