Saturday, October 1, 2011

Dong Maber!

Sorry to hear some of you are having trouble posting comments. I've reviewed the settings and don't seem to be able to discover the root of the problem or change anything that would make posting comments easier.  A number have been posted, but I do see that folks are using the FB option for posting.   Apologies - I'm at the extend of my techno savvy here.

Anyway, still glad you are following the adventures and mis-dventures of this Texan.  Today was language immersion practice.  Native speakers were called in and stations set up so we could practice the conversations we might be having at the Language test coming up on Thursday and Friday.  We are all terrified.  A week without language classes or use of our target language meant that each of us had that deer in the headlights look when we heard the first sentence.  "Really?  Have I even heard this language before?  You want me to do WHAT???  Oh - I mis-understood.  Speak slowly - Mot mot apwoyo."  Markets were set up so we can practice bargaining...  A good effort, but I don't think I'll develop any fluency 'till I get to site and have to buy stuff for which I have no words.  Pointing is helpful - and the Acholi people recognize our distress and speak English (leb munu) back if they know English.  

Rain - hard, long, drenching and mud producing has been the order of the day.  Have to put on the mud boots to trek into town to get coffee.  Can't face another morning without caffeine.  The instant here doesn't taste like Sanka - it's pretty good, but can't wait till I'm in my own kitchen and can use my French press and RutaMaya Organic from home.

Dong Maber ... Acholi for Remain Well!

No comments:

Post a Comment